So as I mentioned in the last post... Richie and I are taking a Love & Logic parenting class. I am really liking the class so far, but have a long way to go before perfection. I have certainly learned that I am the "helicopter" parent, which in some situations is necessary, but in the long run the helicopter parent doesn't allow the children to learn for themselves through experiences. It sends them the message that they can't do anything without you there helping them or saving them from failure. The idea of Love and Logic is to have your kids learn through natural consequences for their actions. Consequences are not punishment given by you, but rather a consequence for their choice. You use empathy to show them you feel bad for them and sad that they made that choice, but the consequence would be a natural one. The only time you intervene as a "drill sergeant" is if the consequence would hurt them or someone else.
So the other day I put to test the love and logic model... This was my experience
MaKenna was refusing to wear socks with her shoes, so I decided to give her the choice (since not wearing socks would not kill her). So she went without socks and like the Love & Logic classes say, I was hoping it would go awful for her so that she could learn a lesson about why she should wear socks. It was a success!!! She got a blister! Mean I know. I was actually excited that she got a blister, but the idea is that she is learning to make good choices young before the consequences are too serious. The price to pay for learning young is small and that is the whole idea behind it. So wish us luck in our journey of parenting with love & logic. I'll continue to post more love & logic stories. I may even start a Love & Logic blog or FB page separate since I know a lot of my friends are also love & logic fans and maybe we can share ideas, concepts, and stories.
Let me know if you are interested in such a thing.
E
No comments:
Post a Comment